Lomi lomi is an ancient Hawaiian healing art that was practiced within families, by master shamans (kahuna) & kupuna (elders). This ancient wisdom was passed down within families or from kahuna to student in the Hawaiian style of teaching which is very different to how we teach & learn today. The purpose of this massage was always to heal, to align, to balance all aspects of self – to create PONO – and it is given & received in the gentle & powerful spirit of Aloha. It is a sacred dance between giver & receiver, between spirit & body, always respecting & asking permission & allowing that to unfold which the person is ready for. Lomi Lomi Nui (temple-style) is characterised by its flow, use of forearms in a rhythmic “dance” all around the body, connecting with the breath (HA) and using the principles of HUNA (Hawaiian esoteric knowledge) to bring about profound healing of body, mind & spirit.
The style taught by Lomi Lomi Ireland follows the lineage of Native Hawaiian kahunas including Abraham Kawai’s “temple-style”lomi lomi & Aunty Margaret Machado’s “big island style” lomi lomi. It is with great reverence & gratitude that these teachings are shared with the purest intent. Thank you to all my teachers & to Spirit for calling me to teach this sacred art! MAHALO NUI LOA!
Benefits of Lomi Lomi
Rhythmic dance-like movements of the therapist’s hands and forearms are used in continuous flow… up, down, under & all around the body:
- Break-up fibrous deposits & lactic acid
- Improve circulation of blood & lymph
- Eliminate toxins & oedema
- Alleviate muscle spasm & stiff joints
- Increase metabolism & energy
- Complete alignment of the body
- Reclaim the youthfulness & grace of your body-mind
- A level of spirit is awakened that penetrates deeply into a realm of ancient wisdom
- Cleanse, revitalise & connect all aspects of self
- Learn how to breathe, move, touch & be touched in a way that will enhance your well being & wholeness